Iran faces surrender demand as Trump says deal remains out of reach

WASHINGTON, Aug 18 (Alliance News): US President Donald Trump has said Iran must accept terms that Washington considers necessary to end the conflict, insisting that Tehran cannot be allowed to possess a nuclear weapon as negotiations between the two sides remain stalled.

Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office on Monday, Trump said Iran was unlikely to agree to what he described as the necessary deal to end the war.

“They’re not going to make the kind of a deal that I feel is necessary,” Trump said, adding that the US objective was to ensure that Iran could not obtain a nuclear weapon.

Asked whether Washington was seeking an extension of an interim agreement with Tehran, Trump replied that it would not be extended.

The interim arrangement, reached in June, called for an “immediate and permanent termination of military operations on all fronts”. However, the understanding quickly deteriorated, with Trump declaring it over on July 7, while Iran’s Foreign Ministry said a week later that the agreement had been suspended.

Under the memorandum of understanding, Iran and the United States had committed to negotiations on a final agreement covering broader issues, including the future of Iran’s nuclear programme. The memorandum provided a period of up to 60 days for negotiations, with the possibility of an extension by mutual consent.

Monday marked 60 days since the memorandum was signed, adding further uncertainty to efforts to revive the diplomatic process.

Earlier, during a telephone interview with Fox News, Trump said Iran should “put up the white flag of surrender”, using increasingly forceful language as negotiations remained deadlocked.

The dispute has also intensified over the Strait of Hormuz, a strategically vital waterway through which a significant share of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas supplies normally pass.

Before the conflict began, the strait carried around 20% of global oil and liquefied natural gas supplies, making any prolonged disruption a major concern for international energy markets.

Oman and Iran have separately been engaged in discussions aimed at restoring commercial shipping through the waterway.

Trump sharply criticised Oman’s involvement in the efforts during his Fox News interview and threatened military action if he believed Muscat was obstructing the process.

When questioned later at the White House about whether he had lost patience with Oman, Trump said he did not believe he had, although he criticised the country’s conduct and said the United States could deal with the situation easily.

The dispute over the Strait of Hormuz has contributed to higher fuel prices and increased pressure on the Trump administration to find a way to end the conflict.

The economic impact of the war has also become a political issue in the United States, with higher energy costs adding to concerns ahead of the November midterm elections, which will determine control of Congress.

Trump rejected suggestions that the upcoming elections were influencing his strategy towards Iran.

“Midterms have nothing to do with my thinking,” he said.

Earlier Monday, Trump reiterated his position on Iran’s nuclear programme in a post on Truth Social, saying the United States’ primary objective remained preventing Tehran from acquiring a nuclear weapon.

The president’s remarks came as diplomatic efforts appeared increasingly uncertain, with Washington demanding significant concessions from Tehran and Iran facing pressure over its nuclear programme, military posture and the future of the Strait of Hormuz.

The widening gap between the two sides raises concerns that the stalled negotiations could give way to further military escalation, particularly if efforts to restore commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz fail.

For regional countries, the dispute carries broader implications for security, trade and energy supplies. Any prolonged disruption in the waterway could affect global oil markets and increase economic pressure on countries dependent on Middle Eastern energy exports.

The latest developments also underscore the importance of continued diplomatic efforts by regional mediators, including Oman and other countries seeking to prevent the conflict from expanding further.