Ronaldo hints at retirement, says upcoming year could be his last

LISBON, Aug 18 (Alliance News): Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo has given his clearest indication yet that his remarkable football career could be approaching its final chapter, saying the upcoming season will probably be his last as a professional player.

The 41-year-old forward made the comments in an interview with Vogue, saying he wants to end his career by leaving what he described as a “spectacular legacy” after more than two decades at the highest level of the sport. (Reuters)

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo said.

Ronaldo’s comments have intensified speculation over when he will finally retire, although his use of the word “probably” leaves open the possibility that he could continue beyond the upcoming campaign.

The Portuguese superstar has enjoyed one of the longest and most decorated careers in modern football. Since making his senior debut for Sporting CP in 2002, he has gone on to represent Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus and Al-Nassr, winning major domestic and international honours along the way.

A five-time Ballon d’Or winner, Ronaldo has also won the UEFA Champions League five times and helped Portugal secure the European Championship in 2016 and the UEFA Nations League.

Despite his extraordinary list of individual and team achievements, the FIFA World Cup remains the major international trophy missing from his collection.

Ronaldo featured for Portugal at the 2026 World Cup, but the team’s campaign ended in the Round of 16 after a defeat by Spain. The tournament was widely regarded as his final appearance at the World Cup.

His potential retirement would bring an end to a 25-year career during which he has established himself as one of football’s most prolific goalscorers.

According to figures cited by Reuters, Ronaldo has scored 976 goals for club and country, leaving him within reach of the extraordinary milestone of 1,000 career goals. (Reuters)

The approaching landmark could provide another major motivation during what may be his final season.

Ronaldo is continuing his career with Saudi Pro League club Al-Nassr, where he is expected to play during the upcoming campaign.

Reflecting on life after football, Ronaldo acknowledged that retirement could leave a significant gap in his daily routine after spending virtually his entire adult life focused on the sport.

“I have so many things to keep me busy that to tell you just one thing is hard,” he said, explaining that football could leave “a big hole” that would need to be filled with other activities.

He said he wanted to spend more time travelling, watching and playing padel, a sport he particularly enjoys, and enjoying the rewards of his long career.

Ronaldo also reflected on the sacrifices required to remain at the highest level for so long.

“After all it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice,” he said.

His remarks suggest that retirement would not necessarily represent a complete withdrawal from public life or sport. Instead, Ronaldo appears to be preparing for a period in which he can devote more time to family, travel and personal interests.

The forward’s career has been marked by remarkable longevity. He has continued to score at an elite level well into his 40s, maintaining a level of physical fitness that has allowed him to compete against players considerably younger than himself.

His potential retirement would also mark the end of an era in which Ronaldo and Argentina captain Lionel Messi dominated world football for much of the past two decades.

Ronaldo’s departure would leave behind an extraordinary statistical record, including hundreds of goals at club level, an extensive collection of individual awards and major trophies across England, Spain, Italy, Saudi Arabia and international football.

For Portugal, he remains the country’s most recognisable football figure and one of its most influential sporting personalities.

For now, however, Ronaldo remains focused on his final season with Al-Nassr and the pursuit of the 1,000-goal milestone.

Whether he retires after reaching that landmark or decides to extend his career further remains uncertain. His latest comments, however, make clear that the end of one of football’s most celebrated careers is now closer than ever. (Reuters)