Several people injured in sword attack at Swedish high school

FAGERSTA, Aug 21 (Alliance News): Several people were injured on Friday after a person armed with a sword attacked a high school in Fagersta, central Sweden, authorities said.

The Fagersta municipality said police were responding to reports of ongoing violence at a school in the town. One person has been taken into custody in connection with the incident.

“A call was received regarding a case of ongoing deadly violence at a school in Fagersta. Police have responded to the scene and one person has been taken into custody,” police said in a statement.

Police said several resources had been deployed to the scene as officers continued their investigation.

Authorities urged members of the public to stay away from the area, respect police cordons and follow instructions from law enforcement officials.

The circumstances surrounding the attack, including the exact number and condition of those injured, were not immediately clear.

Government monitoring situation

Swedish Justice Minister Gunnar Strommer said the government was in close contact with police following the incident.

“We have been informed of a serious incident in Fagersta. The police are on site and working very intensively with the incident,” Strommer said in a statement.

Emergency services and police remained at the scene as authorities worked to secure the area and establish what led to the attack.

The incident comes after Sweden has experienced several high-profile episodes of violence in recent years, including a deadly shooting at an adult education centre in Orebro in February 2025.

Police have not yet released further details about the identity or motive of the person taken into custody.

Authorities are expected to provide additional information as the investigation progresses.