ANKARA, Aug 18 (Alliance News): Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has urged US President Donald Trump to keep diplomatic channels open with Iran, stressing the importance of negotiations to prevent further escalation of the regional conflict.
Erdogan made the remarks during a telephone conversation with Trump in which the two leaders discussed tensions between the United States and Iran, the situation in Gaza, bilateral relations and regional security, according to a statement issued by the Turkish presidency on Tuesday.
The Turkish president said every effort should be made to resolve tensions through diplomacy and expressed hope that negotiations between Washington and Tehran would continue.
“Erdogan stated that it is of great importance to make the utmost of diplomacy regarding the tensions between Iran and the United States, that we hope the talks will continue, and that Turkey will continue to support peace efforts,” the Turkish presidency said.
Türkiye, which has NATO’s second-largest military and shares a border with Iran, has repeatedly called for an end to the conflict and a return to negotiations.
Ankara has maintained communication with the United States, Iran and other countries involved in diplomatic efforts, including Pakistan and Qatar, and has sought to play a role in facilitating dialogue between the parties.
The latest Erdogan-Trump conversation comes amid renewed uncertainty over efforts to end the conflict permanently.
A senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday that Tehran could shift towards a “fully offensive” military posture after negotiations aimed at securing a lasting end to the war stalled.
Washington has also ruled out extending a temporary ceasefire arrangement, increasing concerns that renewed military confrontation could further destabilise the region.
Another major issue discussed by regional governments is the future of shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important energy routes.
Efforts to resume the movement of oil tankers through the strategic waterway have reportedly stalled, raising concerns over energy supplies, international shipping and global oil prices.
Türkiye has criticised the US and Israeli military actions against Iran while also condemning Iranian attacks targeting Gulf states.
At the same time, Ankara has called for the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz and stressed the importance of preventing further disruption to international trade and energy supplies.
On Monday, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan discussed the reopening of the strait and the continuation of the ceasefire with his Iranian counterpart as part of Ankara’s diplomatic engagement.
The Erdogan-Trump conversation also covered the situation in Gaza, where the Turkish president expressed concern over continuing Israeli attacks on Palestinians.
According to the Turkish presidency, Erdogan told Trump that attacks on Palestinians had increased at a time when the second phase of Trump’s Gaza Peace Plan was expected to begin.
The Turkish leader also discussed bilateral relations with Trump, as well as the recently signed Makkah Joint Defence Agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.
Erdogan reportedly described the trilateral defence agreement as demonstrating a “strong stance” in support of regional stability and security.
The agreement, signed during the Makkah Al-Mukarramah Summit on August 7, provides for enhanced defence cooperation between the three countries and establishes mechanisms for closer coordination on security matters.
The Turkish president has previously said the agreement could eventually be expanded to include other countries in the region.
Ankara’s diplomatic engagement comes as the regional security situation remains volatile, with concerns extending beyond the immediate conflict between Washington and Tehran.
Türkiye has sought to balance its relations with both Western allies and neighbouring countries, including Iran, while advocating dialogue as the preferred means of resolving regional disputes.
Erdogan’s appeal to Trump reflects Ankara’s broader position that continued negotiations are necessary to prevent the conflict from developing into a wider regional confrontation.
The Turkish presidency said Erdogan reaffirmed Türkiye’s readiness to contribute to peace efforts and maintain diplomatic engagement with all relevant parties.
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the telephone conversation.





